Main Image

Bank and Public Services

Going through with Japanese unfamiliar documentations and process may frustrate you. When you have a trouble at bank or any public services, just contact us.  We will assist you and get you what you need.  Especially, Japanese pension law was  changed recently. Many people who have paid Japanese pension are entitled  to receive some benefit.  It’s worth a try to find your payment history.


Bank, Ward office and Public Services (Japan Pension Service, Health Center and Tax etc):

1. Japan Pension Service:  
It is mainly composed of national pension insurance (kokumin nenkin) and employees‘ pension insurance (kosei nenkin). All residents of Japan who are between 20 and 60 years of age, including foreign residents(on temporary working, spousal or permanent residence visas) are required to enroll. You are exempt from Japanese pension if overseas company pays your salary and you are seconded to a company in Japan. If some salary is paid from a company in Japan, your employer in Japan must put you in Japanese pension.

As you may be aware, Japanese government has changed pension law. If you have 10 years or more of valid coverage periods, you are eligible for Japanese old age pension at age of 65 or over. instead of 25 years. This will be semi-monthly payment every year until your death, not onetime payment.* The “complementary period of coverage” is a valid period though not actual coverage periods. The complementary period, however, will not be reflected to the pension amount. If you have coverage periods of certain countries which have totalization agreement with Japan, you may be eligible for totalized benefits from Japan or/and the other country, if you meet certain conditions.

* As of August 2018, following countries have totalization agreement with Japan: Germany, United Kingdom, Korea, United States of America, Belgium, France, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Spain, Ireland, Brazil, Switzerland, Hungary, India, Luxembourg and Philippine.

Let’s say, you have paid Japanese pension for 8 years and your social security in the US for more than 2 years, you are eligible for Japanese pension since Japan has social security agreement with the US. If you have paid US social security for more than 17 years, it will make total 25 years of valid coverage periods. You are eligible for survivor’s pension. Your spouse is eligible to receive your pension after your death.

If you have Japanese pension number, it’s worth to find out how much you can receive since it is not only onetime payment. It is semi-monthly payment until your death.

To receive lump-sum withdrawal payment up to 36 months of pension payment, you had to claim within 2 years after the date you no longer have a registered address in Japan.  The refund system requires some significant paper work, it is a way for  those non-Japanese who have contributed to the pension system to get a portion of their contributions returned and remitted to their oversea bank account. Once one applies for and receives a lump-sum refund, all other months of coverage are then void. if you decide to return to Japan again later to work, you would have no accrued pension credit left. You would be starting all over again from scratch.

If you want to find out more about your pension, please contact us! For more information, please

2. Japan Tax Return:  
As you may know, income tax is paid annually on income earned during a calendar year. The tax return for 2018 had to be filed between February 16 and March 15, 2019, however, many people don’t know that the period of tax returns for 2018 is January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2023 if you are getting refund. For those who didn’t claim tax return properly in past years, they can file a tax refund back to the past 5 years.

If you have any of these below, you might get a refund, particular  for those who received retirement income,  purchased home or got family member changed.

  • Miscellaneous loss: Those who have suffered damages due to natural disasters, thefts, embezzlement and such.
  • Medical expenses:  Those who have paid over 100,000 yen for medical expenses.
    OTC Drugs, Costs of going to the hospital, Costs of massage, acupressure therapy, acupuncture, and moxibustion
  • Social insurance premium:  Those who have paid for social insurance policies: national health insurance tax, national pension insurance, employee’s pension insurance, national pension contributions, long-term care insurance.
  • For small businesses that pay premiums for Kyosai insurance policies:  Entrepreneurs and small business owners who have paid for Kyosai insurance policies.
  • Insurance premium: Those who have paid life insurance or earthquake insurance
    Life insurance premium, •Earthquake insurance premium
  • Donation: Those who have donated to schools, governments via Furusato Nozei.

Medical Emergencies:

In the event of immediate attention or an emergency, the first thing to do is call 119 for assistance; if you are in Tokyo, an English-speaking operator will be able to help you, but outside of Tokyo it might be difficult find an operator who is able to understand English. Just contact us with as much of the following information as possible: name, gender, age, address, description of location using landmarks, and the reason for immediate assistance. We will assist you quickly.

Direction, lost and fond and crime reports:
When you lose a key, wallet or passport, you go to the nearest police box first and ask if it has been picked up and brought in by somebody. If it hasn’t, then you should submit a report of lost property at the police box describing in detail where you lost it and what shape of key or wallet it is. For any further assistance, just contact us. We will help you communicating with police quickly.

Customer Reviews

There is no review yet.